Hot tub

Sinead Norman asked 1 year ago

Hi, I’ve got a wooden shed over my hot tub and I need to treat the inside wood to stop mould etc please can you advise which product I should purchase?

1 Answers
William Stewart Staff answered 1 year ago

Hi Sinead.

If you’re after a cheap and effective solution and don’t mind the wood darkening slightly, I’d use an oil-based matte or satin polyurethane. Takes a few days to dry and will smell bad for about 28 days, but it’ll do the job nicely.

Otherwise, consider a capillary blocker such as this product. It doesn’t coat the wood but stops the moisture from being absorbed.

If you want to go belt and braces, this product blocks moisture from getting into the wood’s pores and seals the surface. It also cleans up in water, and the smell dissipates quicker than the oil-based poly in option one.

Personally, I’d go with option one or three, depending on your budget.